Friday, October 22, 2010

Happenings

This past week has been somewhat eventful for family.  I have a few things in particular I never want to forget.

Like, when we set out for a bike ride and got a across the street and Will's training wheel fell off.  He was already having a tough day and laid down in the street in agony.  Mae went to get the bolt that had come off his bike only to have her pedal fall off!  They were both so distraught we walked our bikes home and drove to the park instead.

This week while driving to the store the road had flags all the way from our house to our destination.  It was emotional to see them and all of the policemen from the motorcade going the opposite direction.  I pointed it out to Will and he said, "Mom,why there are so many 'grand old flags?'"  With a lot of sadness, I told him the story of a brave soldier who was from Grantsville who went to the war.  He was helping another hurt soldier and got hurt himself.  "By the bad guys?" Will asked.  Yep, the bad guys shot them both and he saved the other solider, then died.  He thought about it for second and finally responded, "Mom I will NEVER do that... I will never, ever do that." (Shoot someone).  Since then Will has asked daily to hear the story about the brave soldier.

Mae has found herself with a cute little admirer whom she sees at recess and on the bus.  She was getting a little stressed because she was being 'followed' around by him and his friends at recess.  I told her if she didn't want to be chased, followed or whatever, she needed to tell him.  We got to the bus stop and he came running over to her.  Mae said, Brian [Names have been changed to protect the innocent], can I talk to you?  He smiled and said yes.  "Brian, I didn't like you to follow me yesterday and chase me.  Can you stop doing that?"  I just stood there and smiled... is this really my little girl???  He smiled and said he'd stop and then said, but you can chase me, ok!!?  How awesome is it that she just resolved a problem herself?  By the way, this little boy is absolutely adorable and completely harmless.

Tonight I went to a Mary Kay party.. who knew washing my face and putting on make-up could be so fun.  It tempted for about a second and then I looked in the mirror - no way!  I guess that is one thing I'll just never understand ... why women can't find it acceptable to look the way we were created.  Why put on stuff that makes it look like I have a black eye?  Why put on stuff that makes my cheeks look rosy... like I've been running in the hot sun?  Why can't natural lips be good enough?  I guess I'll never understand.  Although, I do understand foundation now... it evens it all out... I get that.  To all women, you're beautiful the way you are...honestly.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I hate it when things go wrong, like the bike incident! So frustrating.

And I love the fact that the story of the "brave soldier" has made such an impression on Will. My heart is just sick for his family.

That is so cute that Mae is already a "conflict manager!"