Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Birthday from another Galaxy

 I have realized while I might not be a perfectionist or someone that does things 'just so' I am definitely an 'all or nothing' person.  If I'm going to do something, I'm going to put everything into it.  If I'm going to plan a kids' Star Wars party, its going to be awesome.  Which, also translates to a lot of work for me, but I have to say that planning my kids' birthday parties has to be one of the funnest and best parts of being a mom!

Last month I decided to make Will a Jedi robe.  I saw an easy template online and whipped it out in less than an hour!  Suddenly, we were planning his birthday party and I was sewing 11 Jedi robes.  It wasn't TOO bad, just the timing, because I was also studying for my finals and getting Christmasy stuff done, too.  But I did it.

I got a lot of my stuff for the party from Zurcher's.  I also made the Death Star pinata with paper miche and painted it.  The light sabers are made from water noodles, cut in half and taped for a handle on the end.  We played Star Wars music the whole time and each child got a Star Wars tattoo upon entry.

 First, Matt did the Jedi training.  They had to do a few things, like hitting a balloon with the light saber, jumping like a Jedi and of course, fighting with light sabers.


Once the Jedi were all trained I told them the bad news: that Darth Vader was coming and they had to defeat him.

The fight was a good one and Vader finally fell.  Will lifted his dad's mask and Matt said, "I am your father."

We played musical chairs and a pin the tail on the donkey sort of game, but with ships and bombs, I think.


Will was so thrilled!!
We sang happy birthday

 And we did the pinata.  Unfortunately, I hadn't secured the hook very well and it came crashing down after only a few hits.  But, the kids didn't seem to care!
We also had some gilactic pizza, fruit and root beer, and opened presents.

 I think all of the kids had fun (even the big kids, aka Matt)
but seeing how happy Will was made it all worth it!
Happy Birthday Will!


5 comments:

Shay said...

THis party was out of this world! I thought it was the cutest idea & I can't wait to steal it a few years down the road. THanks for inviting Scout!!

Luke and Tina said...

That is so cute!!! What a great idea. Looks like all the kids had a blast.

Rachel said...

Go you!...what a great mom to do all of that during such a busy time. Looks like a hit and something he'll remember his cool mom did for him the rest of his life. :)

Nanette said...

What a fun party!! You and Matt are awesome parents!

Brian & Kerrian said...

That was so super fun Amy!!! Thanks again for the invite! I loved catching up on your blog!! Your such a sweet mom! Hope you have a happy New Year's!!!!