Yeah, we do. Its become very apparent, especially going to church every week! Mae was trained so well until recently. She would just sit on our laps and never even try to get away, knowing it just wouldn't work. She wasn't always perfect, but at least we could sit through sacrament meeting and make it out with either me or Matt having gotten something out of the meeting. Then, little Will came along. He also, has been perfect... until he started walking! I despise walking!! He just got that cute little I-can-walk-and-I'm-going-to-all-day-and-no-one-will-stop-me attitude! Its been a struggle every week, simply because he has been so calm his whole life; we've never seen him with so much determination and when he freaks out and throws a fit there is really nothing we can do. Our ward has sacrament meeting last (grrrrr...) whoever decided to do this did not have children in mind. Get ready for church, go have fun for 2 hours in primary or nursery, then sit down and be quiet for 75 minutes, oh and forget that nap you needed, you're just going to have to be dead tired all afternoon. It just does not work. And in our ward with 6 nurseries... its a problem, just so you know, we are not the only family with this problem! We usually have to sit in the gym (yep, our ward is THAT huge), and most of the people sitting back there pick up all their belongings and leave shortly after sacrament. I never intended on doing this, but time after time, with changing diapers, taking Will out, taking Mae out, and what have you, we're all out in the hall anyway, so we just assume we should go home! This has been going on for a couple of months now. Yesterday I was pretty determined to make it work and just stay the whole 3 hours of church. So we took our seats in the gym because we were not saving a pew like everyone else but everything was going fine. Mae was staring at some kids behind us, Will was drinking his bottle, we were good. Then, I'm not sure what happened. The sacrament prayer started, Will bent over and let a man-sized flatulence that disrupted everyone near us. Matt could not control himself. Will, the little innocent guy, grabbed Mae's sippy cup, had a drink and chucked it to my side, it landed on the gym floor and cracked open. Luckily, it was water. But the Deacons were coming around and I didn't want anyone to slip on it, so I ran to get some paper towels. I had two huge handfuls but that soaked up about 1/7 of the mess. So Matt handed me the kiddos on his lap and ran to get some more, meanwhile, the deacons are coming around and slipping in the water. He comes back and STILL does not have enough, runs out of the gym again. Mae and Will are flipping out because they want their daddy and do not understand why he keeps leaving! Matt comes back, finishes cleaning up and sits back down. Just then, Will flips out and tries to run away across the gym laughing. I grab him and take him out to the hall because I know he'll scream when I get him. So we're out there and pretty soon Mae is at my side. As soon as sacrament was over, Matt came out with our diaper bags and books, he was finished... and so was I. As we were leaving I looked back into the gym to see all of the families we were sitting by... they were so quiet and reverent, the only thing I could think was, we must have been so loud! Once again, we leave church, Matt and I feeling completely, 100% defeated.
I'm not about to give up. Next week we'll try again. Maybe we'll save a pew and just trap Mae and Will in. But then, I know we'll be loud and disturb everyone up there. Its a tough thing. Do you train your kids to stay in sacrament meeting, or do you leave because you're disturbing the meeting? Anyway, I honestly don't expect the situation to improve any time soon. This is our life, being parents of two insanely adorable toddlers!
Last night we were over at our friends house, the Bailey's. Their daughter, Addi is Mae's age, so they were outside playing. It was really quiet, so I went to check on them. They were butt naked, playing in 1 inch of rain water in their kids pool!!! Oh my heck, I've never laughed so hard! They saw absolutely nothing wrong with what they were doing, and just kept on playing, even with us standing there laughing at them.
Oh yeah, Just so you all know, when I made this new layout, it deleted all of the blogs I had up, so if your name isn't there anymore, I am so sorry! I'm trying to get every one's back. So if I missed yours just leave me a comment. And just leave me a comment anyway! I'm wondering if anyone reads this!!
I'm not about to give up. Next week we'll try again. Maybe we'll save a pew and just trap Mae and Will in. But then, I know we'll be loud and disturb everyone up there. Its a tough thing. Do you train your kids to stay in sacrament meeting, or do you leave because you're disturbing the meeting? Anyway, I honestly don't expect the situation to improve any time soon. This is our life, being parents of two insanely adorable toddlers!
Last night we were over at our friends house, the Bailey's. Their daughter, Addi is Mae's age, so they were outside playing. It was really quiet, so I went to check on them. They were butt naked, playing in 1 inch of rain water in their kids pool!!! Oh my heck, I've never laughed so hard! They saw absolutely nothing wrong with what they were doing, and just kept on playing, even with us standing there laughing at them.
Oh yeah, Just so you all know, when I made this new layout, it deleted all of the blogs I had up, so if your name isn't there anymore, I am so sorry! I'm trying to get every one's back. So if I missed yours just leave me a comment. And just leave me a comment anyway! I'm wondering if anyone reads this!!
On a happy note, we went to the zoo on Saturday. It was a beautiful spring day!
Mae measuring herself
Matt doing the same
Wow a huge lion
Will was so happy to just sit and look at everything

The boys





10 comments:
I remember those days. I remember once when Dan was gone to some training and there was just the two then and they were 3 and 1, it was one of those sacrament meeting last wards. That to me is the difference. I struggled with them and struggled and eventually left the meeting and went home crying in frustration of not being able to go to church in some semblance of peace. But now that our youngest is four, what a 180. All I can tell you is keep trying, keep going, keep those little mouths stuffed with fruit snacks and it does end.
I mean we are at the point where our oldest can only have The Friend, the other two can only have paper and colored pencils and we haven't had snacks in a couple years. And we don't bust anything out until after Sacrament, if they have behaved. I promise it gets better, easier and it will eventually get to the point where you will be able to complain to Matt about that boring speaker.
That is so funny! I wish we were sitting by you so we could have witnessed this. By the way your haircut is cute, i still haven't got the nerve to cut mine, good job!
Thanks for sharing your sacrament meeting story. I feel like I am the producer of the Melin Family parade some weeks. My youngest does not sit on laps well. He just runs away or screams until you let him go. I hope that it gets better for us both soon.
I understand your church problem. Of course we don't get to attend often because of my schedule, but when we have it's never an uplifting spiritual experience! Since McKenzie could crawl, she has refused to be restrained or to sit still for 2 minutes. It's hard. And I have always felt like its worse because we dont attend enough to get her used to the routine every week. Good luck, and let me know if you figure it out!
Our kids have always been pretty good. But I do remember getting up and leaving a few times (in that ward... hee hee) when the kids were just exhausted. Don't feel bad, just keep trying.
OH, how I feel your pain. Deeply. Right to my very core. LOL
We have a 6 year old and 4 year old (coloring books and crayons keep them perfectly fine), then add in the 3 year old and soon to be 2 year old and you have MASS UTTER CHAOS!!!!!
We have sacrament last, too. I HATE it and honestly, we boycott it more often than not.
We have fabulous people in our ward that just look at us with understanding and compassion. BUT---then we have "those" people that look at us like we are raising a bunch of monkeys. Can't they see I am trying? I'm not just letting them yell and run around.
Grr. Anyway. Thanks for lettin me vent. LOL
Oh my gosh I almost peed my pants I was laughing so hard. Having flashbacks and laughing my head off!! Oh the good old days. What am I saying?? I still have weeks like this and my kids are 10 & 6!! They keep us humble right? I am glad to see that Matt measured up in the Gorilla pix. Loved the pix of him "mad doggin"!! You guys are the best!!
Alli
I love it! We are in the same boat too. However, our Sacrement is first. That makes such a difference! That ward is soo hard! All I can say is I am sorry, and I woulnd't feel bad for leaving! The zoo looked fun! And CONGRATS on the potty training! We have finally tackled it to.
Miss ya,
Em
Amy, I love the way you write! and I too can relate to youngster's at church. We've found that sitting up front you can hear and see the speakers better and the kids used to like to watch other people either at the pulpit or behind us....now they just want to sleep, teenagers!....mom said a little tylenol/benedril during sacrament meeting dosen't hurt either..keep trying :) Brenda
Amy, your family is so cute! They sound like they have lots of energy. Fun times! You can add us to your blog list: marknkyra.blogspot.com. Keep in touch! - Kyra
Post a Comment