Tuesday, July 8, 2008

TTA -- What makes you Proud to be an American?


When Matt joined the Air Force, 3 months after we were married, I was so excited for his new endeavor in life. Matt was so honored to serve his country and felt it was something he needed to do -- serve the Lord, then serve our country. So he headed off to boot camp on August 28, 2001. I bawled for days. He was gone for 6 weeks and then had to complete 3 more months of the Police Academy. During this time 9/11 happened. It was really scary for me, not knowing what was going to happen to Matt, if he would have to go to war or if he would ever see me again. But I also felt very proud of him, knowing that he would do what he was asked no matter what.

I think 9/11 brought everyone together in this country. Patriotism was finally back again. I felt it. I know everyone else felt it. I know Matt was feeling it too, in boot camp. I truly gained such a great appreciation to live here. We are free. We have that freedom granted to us by the constitution. Even if you don't agree with everything I say, or everything that goes on in this country, you're still benefiting from that freedom, because you can actually SAY what you want! We have the ability to the pursuit of happiness... no matter what that kind of happiness might be. I, as a woman can vote freely, every election. We have such a wonderful history of this country, the men who founded it and the dream they had of a people living free in a nation under God.

While Matt was in the military, some Russian military people came to tour our base in North Dakota. He was one of the escorts that showed them the base. As they rode around the barracks, one of the men asked, "Why aren't there fences around the barracks to keep them in?" One of the officials answered, "We don't need fences to keep men and women in our military, its completely volunteer." How amazing is that? That everyone in the greatest military is there because they chose to and want to defend and serve our country. I think that says a lot about our country alone. While Matt was in the Air Force for 4 years it became apparent that the military life just wasn't for us for life. We loved those years and learned so much. I also learned that in order to defend our country, our soldiers give up a lot of freedoms. I will always appreciate the the men and women who continually serve this country. I know if I did not live here, I would not have this happy life that I enjoy. You can agree or disagree with me, but I am a full-blown patriot that will always love being an American. The people and leaders are not perfect, but I appreciate the freedoms I enjoy.

Lastly, I love the beauty of America. It doesn't matter what part you go to, its beautiful all over. From the beaches in California, to red rocks in southern Utah, to the flat nothingness in North Dakota, its amazingly beautiful.
The picture is a drawing called "Airman Matt" by Matt's talented cousin, Ryan Stephens.

4 comments:

Alison said...

Wow, Amy, I loved this post! I didn't know Matt was in the Air Force and I love the story about the Russian military.

Now, I have to think of something to post.... LOL

Leeann said...

Beautiful.

Erin. said...

I really have no business reading your blog, other than it is linked on Alisons *and she invited all to read your "Proud to Be an American" post....anyhoo...I was reading it and instantly "North Dakota" popped out at me!! I grew up there and rarely meet anyone who has been there, let alone lived there! And, quite frankly, some people can't even find it on a map (How American is that?) Just wanted to agree with you that even though it is a virtual "flat Nothingness"....it is beautiful. Rolling Hills of grains and sunflowers and no traffic and pollution. Everytime I visit home, I get a little twinge that tells me that I could live there again. And then my husband yanks me back into reality!! Enjoyed your post!

Emily said...

Very Cool! I am so greatful for people willing to serve in the military. Thanks guys! I love the freedoms that we have. Thanks for reminding me!