Thursday, August 28, 2008

MISERY!!!

That is how Will would describe this day...

its 9:32 pm and I finally got my little boy to sleep who usually goes to bed at 7:00. What happened with the binky's? Well, I talked to Mae and Will about it this morning. Will cried like someone had just died(mostly fake, though). Mae just went on talking about going to school. Will cried on and off throughout the day and would ask for his and then (mostly)fake cry. It didn't phase me until after dinner he was getting really fussy and tired... just going nuts. I stayed strong. Then, I laid him down for bed and he just kinda played and talked for an hour, when he usually just goes right to sleep. I opened the door to peek at him and he lost it. He was crying the worst, can't-catch-my-breath-cry. Matt and I couldn't stand it. I got him out of bed and he was whimpering for an hour! he couldn't get over the fact that he didn't have his SASSI! Matt said he thinks Will was confused, poor guy. So we gave the kiddos their paci's and put them to bed. I ended up holding Will for over an hour until he fell asleep because he lost it when I laid him in his bed awake. So basically I ruined the night and I won't be trying that again for awhile. I will, however, limit the paci's to ONLY bedtime! That's a start, right?? Its important for us all to get some sleep, so it will have to do for now. Thanks for all of you advice and help! I appreciate it.

6 comments:

Leeann said...

Sounds like a good choice. He's not ready.
As for the nasty (lol) comment you left on my blog...I just ate a bowl of cookie dough ice-cream, thank you very much! :)

Lacey Sue said...

I have to go with you on this one, kids can tell you when they are "Ready" to do things...that, however, does not mean wait till he's 10. But if he's not ready, he isn't ready. I like the idea of limiting paci time. With Aspen, we actually truly lost them, and didn't buy more, she had one rough night and that was it. Then again she was like 2 1/2 so she was kinda ready...keep tryin' and I'll be cheering you one!!

Crystal said...

With my oldest, we had started to limit it littl eby little. We had it only a few times during the day and then at bed. Then just for naps and nighttime. Then we went strictly to nighttime. She was doing good on that and then One week she got sick and we gave into her having it again all the time (we were sick too and got sick of hearing her whine because she was sick). After a few days and no break, we took her to the dr. and he told us she needed to get rid of them (that was at 18 months). He told us it would be bad for her bite and teeth growth (I guess some dr.'s have different opinions). I was ready for her to get rid of them too. She was attached too much and I wanted her off of them before the new baby came so that she would not put her (the baby's) binkys in her mouth. So after the dr. appt. we went cold turkey. She had a hard couple of days wanting it so we supplemented with rocking for a while at nap and bedtime. But after about a week she stopped asking for them all together, but the bad nights did not last too long. I had Mark put her to bed most nights too so that she would associate him with the new change (since before I had always put her into bed). So those night help. But I am all for decreasing it a little at a time. I think that works best for kids. Great job!

Sharon said...

I think limiting them to bedtime is a great start! I'm sure it will get easier over time!

Alison said...

Poor little guy. And poor little you!

I went through this with both of my boys. I'll tell you what advice I read somewhere that I liked the best.

I let them keep their pacifiers in bed as long as they wanted to. I don't even remember when they stopped wanting them, but it was definitely more of a natural progression than a forced thing. They just were required to leave them in the crib/bed in the morning when they got up.

During the day, I tied a pacifier to a doorknob with a piece of yarn. Then, I told them that they could suck on it whenever they wanted and as long as they wanted, they just had to stand where it was hanging to do it. They were able to get their "fix" that way, but ended up getting bored standing there (especially because I put it just outside of view of the TV -- I'm no dummy), and they eventually gave it up entirely during the day.

Good luck! Keep us posted on the progress.

The Schooley's said...

Baby steps, my friend, baby steps!! I was having a flashback as I read your post. I feel you pain sista!!