
As I said before, I started working last week. When I worked at night before, I was always kinda sad not to be there when the kids went to bed, to tuck them in at night. This past week Matt told me everything was fine, no one was sad or crying for me and they kids just went straight to sleep without getting up or anything... what?! That's unheard of! But I know it has something to do with the fact that Mae and Will know they can get away with a lot with dear old mommy around. I don't know what to do about that. I'm a sucker! When they are really cute I give in. Mae just learned that when she says "Please, oh please!" That I think its cute and laugh and do whatever she wants. I know, I know, but she's way cute! It would make you melt too. Of course Mae doesn't' even try stuff like that with Matt-- its not going to work. Not that Matt is mean or unloving in anyway way at all. We're talking about Mae asking for a piece of gum, not some much-needed nourishment like dinner. But somehow when she asks really nice and uses good manners it makes sense to me to say "Okay! Just give me a kiss and I'll get you some bubblegum!" With Will, its just much easier to pick up the mess up torn up toilet paper than get upset with him. He thinks time-out is funny and I don't have the heart to make him cry, so he's completely wild for now.
So anyway, back to going to bed at night... when I'm home I tell myself that they just love me so much they don't want to leave me and go to bed! haha, just kidding -- but in reality they don't just "Lay down and go to sleep" when I'm home, like they do with Matt. After working all week I had Saturday off and it was time to get the kiddos ready for bed. It was an amazing thing to sit and watch. Matt got them in their pajamas with no cries or screams, it was basically silent! Then he got them each a cup of chocolate milk. Then he said "its time for scriptures!" and they jumped up on the couch and sat up like its the most amazing story time ever. He read a little bit and explained about the Jaredites until they were disinterested. Then Matt said the family prayer and Will helped a little... They are still just sitting there! Then he said, finish your chocolate milk and put it in the sink. Mae and Will both had a drink and threw them in the sink immediately and then ran down the hall to their room! What are they now, robots!? I've never seen anything like this, honestly! We both put them to bed and said good night. . . and that was it. Not one. more. sound. I was so amazed! It was wonderful to see how happy they were and to see that I have nothing to worry about. It was also great to see Matt, he truly is a wonderful dad and I'm glad Mae and Will have him! Mae and Will go to bed feeling loved, secure and know that even though I'm not there at night, I will be there in the morning to harass again.
What about being the push-over parent? Anyone else have this same thing? or are you the strict parent in the family?
7 comments:
I am also a bit of a push-over parent. I just haven't found a way to discipline Tristan yet that works and hearing him scream and throw a fit over something gets irritating. I've tried slapping his bottom or his hand and he just laughs and sometimes hits me back. We've been trying time out but I don't think it's doing any good. I'm pretty much out of ideas so I guess I will continue to be a push-over.
Hmmm... I know that I am a push-over at times. But for the most part, I think James and I are both pretty evenly matched in this area. I guess I just feel strict, because Katie is with Janet and Dawn a lot. And they spoil her rotten and let her do whatever she wants. So that kind of forces me to be more strict... if that makes sense!
I think Cris and I are are both pushovers - but at different things so its a good match. But, at bedtime, I am the one who wants the routine and he's the one that says "okay, you can come out of bed if you sit and cuddle with me". It's getting a little out of hand, so on Saturday we decided to be more structured and so far so good. Funny that you mentioned this just as we were working on it, too!
I'd say I'm the more "strict" parent...Ethan seems to mind me better than daddy most the time. There are definite push-over moments, though.
I am TOTALLY a push-over parent!! It's horrible. I try so hard to be strict, but, like you say, they do something cute and that's the end of strict mommy :)
You want them to miss you, but it's a blessing that will be good and go to bed for Matt. It's hard to go back to work and think about all you're missing at home. But just think of the relationship Matt is building with your kids and the memories they will have of their special time with dad. Not all dads get the opportunity to care for their kids that much without mom around.
I hope the job doesn't freak you out too much. It's weird, it's quirky, but once you get trained it's very relaxing. I started in October (two years ago!) and couldn't have headphones for the Christmas season. That was hard. If I was you, I'd maybe just wear one headphone. That wouldn't be too bad, right?
Amy, I love your posts. My kids are always whiny and everything while I'm here but apparently are complete angels if I'm not here. Go figure.
As for my moving news... could you email me? I don't want to put it in a blog comment.
crazykids.insanemom.ajw@gmail.com
Post a Comment