Sunday, September 28, 2008

Three Moments

Sharon did this on her blog and I loved it! So I'm finally getting around to doing my own.

Choose three unforgettable days/moments from your life and record them. Then after you've done that, choose three more, and do it as many times as you want. Here are my first three:

The Day I Graduated from High School June 6, 2000: This is immature and lame but it is very memorable for me. I could not wait to get out of Grantsville and on with my life! I was so happy to be finished with school and onto new things. During graduation, my brother in law, the love-bug that he is, wanted to give me a lei to wear. He ended up getting kicked out because he thought it was ridiculous that I could not wear a lei, because of Mr. Green's rules. So that gave me even MORE happiness to be totally finished with GHS forever! Dumb rules in small town high schools often go unnoticed... that is, until the principal comes to your house to apologize.

Christmas Day, 2000: Matt and I were dating and were separated for the holidays while he was with his family. I missed him like crazy but didn't want to act "needy" on the phone. We talked for awhile and as we hung up I almost said "I love you, bye!" but didn't. Then, as Matt was saying goodbye he said, "I love you Amy." and that was the second I knew we'd be married. I felt so happy and at peace and told him that I loved him too. Apparently he was missing me too, and rushed home the next day. He drove all day long from California to make it in time to my family's Christmas party and got there just in time! I was so happy to have him back. We were engaged on Valentines' day a couple months later and the rest is history!

The day after Mae and Will were born: The delivery's were definitely memorable for sure. But it never really sank in with me that "This is my child!" until the night after their births. I think all of the medications, people, anxiety and excitement makes the birthday a bit hazy for me. But once its dark, the lights are dim, all the people have gone home, its just me and my baby. Both times I remember sitting in a barely lit hospital bed, just talking to Mae and Will about their birthday and how happy I am to be there at that moment. I felt a huge rush of love and a mother's bond to my baby like nothing else in this world.

Three MORE moments!
It says to do more, so I'll do some small ones now.

#1: A few months ago it was a Monday morning and I was stressed to the max and just feel overwhelmed at the day I had ahead of me. My 1 year old was just starting to get into everything and my 3 year old was begging for attention. On top of that I had to clean up the weekend mess in the house and go to the grocery store. I knew it was going to be a long day for me. Just as I was getting busy I noticed on the calendar that my visiting teachers were coming at 10:00 am! I rushed to get myself and the kiddos ready for the day and somewhat clean up the toys in the house. My teachers were right on time, but this time it was just one of them. She's a sweet older lady that I could talk to all day long, so I was so happy to see her face and I thought, "maybe she'll offer some uplifting lesson I need today!" We got to talking about husbands because that's what the lesson was on. Her husband died years ago and she's been a widow ever since. All of her kids are grown and she's lived a very full life. It made me sad as she talked about the pain she felt when she lost her husband, how she felt like she was cut in half, because her second half was now missing. Then, she looked at me and said

"You know what Amy, this is the best time of your life. It really is. You have a hard working husband, two beautiful children who are young and full of life. You have the gospel and you have your whole life ahead of you. It REALLY is the BEST time of your life."

Holy cow, she was right. I had been so overwhelmed with everything I had to do and didn't look around to think that I really do have everything I want and need. Once she had left I just sobbed because that was EXACTLY what I needed to hear that day. Hearing it from her has meant a lot to me and I'll never forget it. The rest of the day I felt so much at peace and really tried to enjoy the day, rather than waste it being ungrateful for what I have. I don't want to look back on my life and wish I had done anything different because this really is the best time of my life.

#2: As my grandma aged she made it known that she never wanted to live in a rest home. She refused the thought and would do anything, get any equipment or buy anything that would help her stay home. But she kept falling and even broke her hip when she was 91 years old. Still, she insisted on staying home. It got to the point where it was a danger for her, at age 93, to be in her own home and she had to go to a rest home. She was not happy about this at all. She would be upset about it and just fight the idea. She commented on how horrible it was that people were dying everyday and the others just sat in their wheelchairs all day long. She just didn't view herself as an older person and she did not belong with those people! As her condition continued to worsen, she started seeing visions of "my bedroom upstairs where my brother and parents were waiting for me" and "My husband came to tell me its not time to go yet," and all sorts of amazing dreams. We knew it was getting closer and while I was visiting from North Dakota we spent time with her everyday. On December 23, 2004 we stopped by for a visit. Grandma was sitting in a chair in the social room which was rare for her. We sat down by her and she greeted us with a huge smile. She told us how she just isn't going to fight it anymore. She said she needs to accept where she is and be happy with being at the rest home. I'll never forget the huge smile on her face, like she was finally at peace. She had such a huge amount of joy that it was great to see her like that. The next day things gradually worsened and she passed away on Christmas Eve. It was such a neat experience to be there with her before she passed away. We all knew she was happy and at peace. I will never, ever forget that cute smile she flashed as we said goodbye the day before. It gave me so much peace knowing that she was ready for whatever came next for her, in heaven.

#3: Yesterday I had a neat experience. I've been training for this job which has been a huge headache for me. From the beginning they said if you don't pass training within the two weeks, you will not be able to work here. I thought, "What kind a retard won't pass training??" Fast-forward two weeks, and I'm not finished with training! I had two more tests to take and pass on Friday night. My trainer told me he'd give me 2 more hours if I came in on Saturday. I thought, two more hours will not be enough time! But I went in anyway. I had been praying all day long and had Matt give me a blessing; I was stressed about it all day. I took the first test and passed the first try! Wow I was feeling great! Took the very last test, didn't pass. Took it again, didn't pass. Took it one last time... and I didn't pass. I thought it was time to leave and felt so defeated, I was a retard that couldn't pass training! Then my trainer told me I could try ONE MORE TIME even though he's not supposed to. I thought I was finished anyway, so I wasn't nervous but said a few prayers to see if it would help. I took the test and BOO YA! I passed!!! I was so amazed! I know for certain that I had some extra help and was truly blessed. I just think its so amazing that Heavenly Father cares so much about us. He cares about the little things and the big things. He cares about whatever it is that we care about, no matter how small it is. I honestly don't think i could have finished those tests on my own and I'm so thankful I was able to.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I LOVED reading this! (So much so, that I even left Google Reader to get onto your blog to make a comment. LOL!) Thanks for sharing!

Lacey Sue said...

Amy, you just amaze me. Your life IS so truly blessed, but it's because you are a righteous lady. I was always honored to be your friend, because I knew without a doubt- you were a good kid. Still are :)! Thanks for sharing your memories with me, and the rest of the world, they were beautiful...just like you!

Rachel said...

I love these moments! They are truly tender mercies. I totally remember when Matt told you he loved you. I think I talked to you right after it happened, and I was freaking out. This is really the best time of your life, and you have so many treasured moments from these years.

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing these. You are such an amazing person!