Sunday, November 9, 2008

Thursday Thirteen

To answer your comments...
I don't know what happens to the Santa Clause letters. Let me know if you do it!
If you do these things, you might get your mail returned to you, just so you're aware. And.. I was putting on the sarcasm pretty heavy when I wrote it, so don't believe anything I say!
I don't know if I'll do this every week, but I love reading Thursday lists on other people's blogs.
I work at the Post Office Encoding Center, reading mail that the computers can't. There used to be over 50 of these centers and now there are only 7(I think). I guess the computers are getting better at reading the mail and don't need as many people as they did 10 years ago. So here are just a few, simple things you can do to ensure that people like myself (and the other thousands that work at these facilities) will continue to have a job.
1. Put the zip code in a random place on the letter.
2. Rearrange the order of the address, city & state, Name of person and street address, for example.
3. Just leave the zip code out of it.
4. Write in your best/sloppiest cursive writing.
5. Better than that-- write it as you are signing your name like a movie star!
6. Have your 4 year old write the address.
7. Mail a post card and put the address in a tiny little corner next to the stamp.
8. For a house number or PO Box put a few ???
9. Try using those old 41 cent stamps.
10. If you have to use a printer, make the font size 4.
11. Put the address going along the side.
12. Place the stamp in the bottom right corner.
and my personal favorite
13. Write this on the letter
Santa Clause
North Pole

8 comments:

Leeann said...

this was really really cute. so, fess up...what happens to the santa letters?

Sharon said...

LOL! I love it! I thought that if I did any of those things, my letter would just be returned to me. But I promise to be sloppier from here on out. :)

Stacy said...

Too funny!

Lacey Sue said...

Thanks for helping me have a smile on my face this morning, what a funny read. What made me laugh, is I could totally HEAR you saying in your cute "Amy voice" what a riot!

Lacey Sue said...

send me your email...I am setting my blogspot to private, so I need your email so I can invite you to view mine again...thanks!!!

The Schooley's said...

That is awesome. We'll get right on the letters to Santa Claus.

Rachel said...

LOL! That is awesome! I'll be sure to address my next letter wrong. Peruvians do it wierd, too. I don't think they have set rules on addressing and stamping envelopes.

Misty Moncur said...

Amy, if you get Santa mail with no address (my favorite is Santa Clause, Candy Cane Lane, North Pole) the zip is 99705 and the inward is sanc firm. There should be a little sticker on your monitor. They will make sure there is one on every monitor closer to Christmas. This is the zip for North Pole, Alaska, where school kids and volunteers will actually answer your letters.

If there is an address (a lot of times a city will have its own volunteers and post something in the paper telling people to send Santa mail to them) then you key the address like normal.

Sorry to take the mystique out of it.

My favorite letters are the ones that give directions:

Amy So-and-so
go north on ave L until you get to the big blue sign, turn left and follow ten miles until you get to the fork in the road, take the right fork and moonwalk until you see Amy in her front yard waving a sign

I am not kidding.

Or

Amy So-and-so
Homeless.

I loved your list. It was hilarious!