Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Do Not Feed The Ducks


A few days ago the weather was very spring-like, so we headed to the Stansbury park to play and visit the ducks. I know you're not "supposed" to feed ducks, but guess what? These two kiddos think it is so fun. We took some old bread and the kids could hardly wait to walk over to the bridge and starting throwing that bread. As we walked from the playground to the bridge the ducks started making lots of noises, like they could see us coming! They were excited to see us, too!
We never made it to the bridge. Several ducks were on the water's edge and it looked like a perfect spot to start the feeding, so the kids to get an up-close look! We started throwing our little pieces of bread over the ducks heads, as to make them STAY in the water. That didn't seem to work, so we backed up a bit. Then they all got out of the water and some other came from nowhere until there were about 50 ducks on the grass. We backed up some more and continued throwing the bread to get them to get away from us. That didn't work, so we backed up and started throwing the whole loaf of bread to get them away from us! Mae was screaming bloody murder. They were as tall as Mae and Will. They were both screaming. We were being charged by the ducks!! I got rid of the bread, turned to grab the kids and Mae was gone - screaming and running as fast as she could! Will was just looking at me like, "what on earth is wrong with these ducks?!" and I was barely breathing because I was LAUGHING so hard. I ran with Will and looked back... there were at least 50 ducks still standing there... waiting for more, I guess. Mae was crying on a picnic table and yelling, "I HATE you ducks! I hate you!" The poor kids were terrified!
That day Mae was so puzzled and asked me several times WHY those ducks were so wild and why they were so huge and WHY did they want to eat my hand?!?
Tonight Mae was in bed and called me in to tell me she was scared. I asked her what she was scared of and she said, "I'm scared of the ducks, I am thinking about the huge ones that chased me!"

Needless to say, I think that was the last time we'll be feeding the ducks.

But, could someone else feed them?
They seemed a little starved.

8 comments:

Stacie said...

Wow, that is just too much excitement from those ducks! I am so surprised. We feed them all the time, but I guess we usually take the dog with so maybe they are scared of him. You can borrow our dog next time if you want. :)

Shay said...

We love to feed them too but our last experience was very similar and I thought they really were going to bite scout's hand off but luckily Aaron was with us with the dog and that whipped the ducks into shape fast.

Rachel said...

Oh, that story was hilarious. (Sorry, Mae, not hilarious for you.) I honestly hope they don't give her nightmares, poor little thing.

Stacy said...

Oh my goodness, Amy! What a funny story! (In a sad way for poor Mae!) I guess Im laughing because I've felt the same way with the geese at liberty park!

Bonnie said...

Oh Amy, I'm tearing up, I'm laughing so hard. I'm so sorry for little Mae, though. I can totally understand how scary that must have been! Thanks for cheering me up with that story! Lol!

Lacey Sue said...

It's horrifying, but I a laughing my butt off anyways!!! I can totally picture it in my head!!! Poor kids are going to be traumatized for life by the stupid ducks!! hehehehehe Too funny!!!

Misty Moncur said...

You're not supposed to feed the ducks?

Jamie said...

I heard on the news the other day that because people are feeding the ducks so much that many of the are to fat to fly south for the winter.
I think Diessen would have acted the same way. Poor Mae!