Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thankful Birthday

 Today is my birthday.  Its great to have it close to Thanksgiving.  I am SO many blessings to be thankful for.  I am so blessed to be a mother.  I am so blessed to be a wife to a wonderful man.  I am so blessed to have wonderful parents, brothers and sisters.  I am so thankful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I am so thankful to be happy everyday and have good friends around me.  I'm thankful for all who made my day special, including my parents who brought over a delicious german chocolate cake... yum!

The weird thing about getting older is that there is a certain age... maybe it started when I became a mother, but since then, since I've gotten to this certain age, time just seems to stand still for me.  I haven't changed much in the past 5-7 years.  My hair style varies in length, I tan in the summer and go ghost-white in the winter but other than that I feel like I am standing still, watching the world go by me.  My children have grown like weeds... going from a mere 6 lb 14 oz (Will) or 8 lb 11 oz (Mae) to being big kids who can buckle themselves in the car, get a drink of water on their own, entertain themselves for hours and clean up after themselves (most of the time). Its easy to see the change in them and not see a change in myself.  I know I'll get to another stage in life and see the changes, but for now I'm fine with feeling like a 23 year old for awhile.

Another thing I thought about today was that 10 years ago today Matt and I had our very first date.  It was on my birthday, in 2000.  I was turning 19.  Matt had been stalking me for about a month and I finally decided I'd go on a date with him and give him a chance.  We went to Qdoba in the Riverwoods in Provo (no longer there).  I remember talking a lot during our dinner and then wondering why he didn't have anything planned after that.  We went back to my apartment.  He told me he told all my roommates to leave so we could watch a movie.  We walked in, the lights turned on and everyone screamed, "Surprise!"  He planned me a surprise party... on our first date!  I was impressed.  There were disco lights, music, lots of people, 2 cakes, games and dancing.  He gave me a book and pajamas.  I still have the book and read it to the kids often.  What a fabulous memory!


Today I was spoiled and didn't lift a finger all day... AND  the house is clean.  That's the great thing about Matt.  And the fact that he only worked on Monday this whole past week so we have been celebrating all week.  I could do no wrong all week.  I'm sad to see it end!

Here's to a great birthday week

and the last year in my 20's!

7 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

Happy Birthday my sweet friend!!!!
A surprise birthday party...on a first date...no wonder you married the guy...he's amazing ;)! And you deserve it!! :)

Stacie said...

What a great birthday! I had forgotten about Qdoba, but I remember going there! I am shocked that he planned all that on a first date!

Nanette said...

I didn't know that about your first date! How awesome! I guess you couldn't really go wrong with a guy that would do that...on a first date, no less!! Well, we knew he was lucky to have you - I think you are both lucky:) And, I'm jeal...mom and dad don't bring ME cakes on my b-day:)

Rachel said...

That's one amazing first date! Happy, Happy Birthday. So glad you were spoiled. :)

Sharon said...

I hope you had a great birthday! I loved hearing the story of you and Matt. I love you guys and am so glad that you are both so happy! You both deserve it!

Rachel said...

I had totally forgotten that Matt planned a surprise party for you on your first date! AWESOME!!! Hope it was great Birthday! You deserve it.

Jamee said...

What a great first date and birthday! I love reading your blog, because it is so up to date. I need to be better at blogging like you. Funny Mae...I remember doing that as a kid...pretending like I was asleep! Too cute!