We got up on St. Patrick's Day and I realized I didn't prepare anything to make it special... or fun. So I made the milk green for Mae and Will when we sat down for breakfast. I just told them it was a leprechaun for St. Patrick's day. Then, Mae left a cup of water out and I turned it green, too. They both thought this was pretty cool.
In the afternoon I got some M&M's for Mae and Will. I printed out a note that said they were from a lucky leprechaun. I made some green footprints on their window seal, left the window open a bit and 'messed' up their room.
For dinner I whipped up some pancakes which, after we left the room for a minute, suddenly turned green. They thought this was pretty cool and after dinner we went to check out their room... Matt and I both got excited with them and told them he had been in their room! They were thrilled to have some candy but Will was suddenly not happy about the situation. He wanted to know who made the green footprints. We told him it was the leprechaun but he left out the window, so he's gone now! I had to go to class that night, but before I left Will said, "Mom I LIKE that leprechaun.... but I don't like him!!!" holding his candy!
When I came home from class about 9:30, Matt told me that the kids had just fallen asleep... usually they are asleep around 8:00! They both went to bed but were so freaked out they couldn't fall asleep. Will thought this little leprechaun was going to come out in the night and get him! Mae was just plain scared. After a full hour of prayers, songs and trying to reassure the kiddos, Matt finally broke down and told them it was ME who was the leprechaun. They were so confused and didn't understand WHY their mom would do such a thing! But it worked and they were finally able to calm down and go to sleep.
The next morning Mae came in at the crack of dawn, ready get the low-down.
"MOM, did you write the leprechaun NOTE?"
Yes, I did...
"DID you color the milk GREEN?"
Yes, I did it with food coloring.
"WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT MOM!?"
Because its FUN! For St. Patrick's day!!
BUT Mom, when I asked you if YOU colored the milk green you SAID NO. That means you LIED! YOU are a LIAR MOM!!!" (are you sensing her frustration?)
I honestly didn't even know what to say! Suddenly I'm' thinking of all of the LIES I tell -- Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy.... wow, I'm SO busted! Luckily she didn't put that together in her mind.
Then, Will came in...
"MOM- did you do the green footprints??"
yes, I did.... it was me.
"How did you do them....?"
With green paint and my pinky.
"WHY MOM!? WHY??"
I explained again that it was just for fun. Then Will got sad about the footprints-- He didn't believe me. Mae took him by the hand and they ran into their room to get rid of those footprints so they never had to think about it again. They washed them off first thing in the morning.
Since then we haven't had a peaceful night of sleep.
I'll just go ahead and say it-- I messed up. My kids are not happy with me!
Mae came in bawling the other night because she had a nightmare about a leprechaun.
I don't know if we'll ever go back to sleeping through the night, but if you think I'm going to give up on having fun with the holidays...
you are wrong.
Next year I'll just tone it down a bit... after-all, they already know its ME.
![]() |
| Mae and Will on St. Patrick's Day (not Halloween, I swear) |

7 comments:
I'm sorry, but that is really quite funny! I guess that helps me know to wait until Sunnie is much older to do anything leprechaunish.
I am speechless, I am laughing SO hard. I am so sorry....can't....stop...laughing!
I am still laughing today about that! They will never forget(and don't let them)!! I love it!
I think it is hilarious. Probably not the getting up in the night, but seriously you were just trying to have fun. I have always wondered why we tell all these lies...who knows!
Sad for you. Hilarious to read, though! I always forget about St. Patty's Day. To be honest, leprechauns kind of freak me out so I imagine we'd have the same problem here. :)
Rob and I are laughing sooooooo hard!!!!
so funny.
I remember on Christmas Eve I started telling Scout how Santa was going to come into our house...then I saw her eyes get wide..I quickly changed the subject and realized she wasn't ready for that part of the story yet..
& I could see how a creepy little green guy with curly red hair could be kinda freaky..
Post a Comment