Right now I'm taking three classes. One of them is Storytelling. You won't believe it, but I'll tell you anyway - its online. We have to record our stories and post them for the class to view. I think its pretty funny. Anyway, this week our assignment was to tell a story about one of our ancestors. Because I have so many from my grandma, I chose one of hers. When I was in high school I went to visit my grandma almost every single day with my mom. We would watch the Jazz play, have ice cream or just talk. I got to know my grandma because of this time we spent together. I heard a lot of great stories and grew to love and respect her. She was born in 1911. She grew up on a farm in Koosharem, Utah. She lived through the great depression. She got married, had two sons and saw so many amazing things throughout her life. I often think of her when I have a hard day... if she can do it, maybe I can too!
Anyway, the story goes like this. My grandma Ardena had a lot of younger siblings and one day her parents drove into town to get some supplies. She was left with the kids for the day and her and her little sister decided to make dinner so that their parents could come home to a nice meal. They decided on chicken soup. So they headed outside to kill the chicken. They had both seen this done so many times but there were many challenges with killing a chicken. They got the head off and both of them screamed when the chicken didn't immediately die. Finally, they were able to get the chicken cleaned and ready for the soup. Everything was perfect and ready when their parents arrived home. They all sat down and watched as their dad took the first bite. He looked up and said, "Ardena, why is there wheat in this soup?" Immediately the whole family started laughing uncontrollably because they all knew this was not right. While the two girls cleaned the outside of the chicken well, they had neglected to clean the inside! So everything that was in the chicken, went in the soup!!
My grandma would tell us this story and laugh until she cried. I have so many great memories from hearing her stories.
![]() |
| Grandma as young mom with her first son Isn't she beautiful? |
This month marks my grandma's 100th birthday.
Many times, I have strength because I know what a wonderful woman she was and even until the end she was happy, smiling and enjoying life at age 93. I know that she is in heaven dancing.... because that's what she would always tell us she was going to do when she died!
![]() |
| My grandparents -- Ardena and Ronald-- little love birds, with my grandma's sister. |
I miss her and her stories.
I like to think that she isn't too far away...



4 comments:
You are moving?!? Bittersweet.
loved the story of your grandma!
I love these stories. I wonder what stories our grandchildren will be telling about us one day...
You totally have your grandma's smile.
So sweet! Grandmas are the best. I miss mine so much! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment