Sunday, June 26, 2011

Perfect

We had such a fun day today and I didn't take one picture but I just want to write down how perfect and fun it was.

Of course it was Sunday so we headed to church.  Came home, watched Wipe-Out with the kiddos.  Then we packed a picnic for dinner and set out on an "adventure."  That's what we told the kiddos so they would want to come!  First, we went to check out the Grantsville dam.  It is very full!  We didn't stay too long, just long enough to throw some rocks and trip on some fishing line.  Then, we drove to South Willow Canyon. First we checked out the Cottonwood (I think?) camping site where the river was raging.  Usually there is a little spillway that the kiddos could walk across to the other side of the river where they have a rope swing.  Today you couldn't even SEE the cement which had been a few feet above the water before.  We threw rocks and sticks in the river and sat down to have our lunch.  We were interested to see if The Loop was actually closed, so we drove up as far as we could get.  The road was, indeed, closed off so we went up to the Medina Flats area to go on the Stansbury Front Trail.  I have very fond memories of first of all, South Willow because we went up there a lot growing up and secondly, of the Stansbury Front Trail because we would run it all the time for cross country practice in high school.  We hiked slowly and just enjoyed every minute.  We saw at least 7 different types of wildflowers and even found ourselves in a beautiful meadow full of yellow flowers.  It was absolutely beautiful.  Mae and Will looked for lizards and "cool rocks."  The view was amazing as we looked down on the valley below.  The kids were happy (and tired) but wanted to keep walking, so we did.  We finally made it to a river that we couldn't pass and decided to turn around.

Before going to bed we asked the kids about their "best and worst" of the day.  Both of them said walking so much was the worst part of their entire day and the best part was stopped at Grandma's and Grandpa's house for ice cream!  Funny how Matt and I can enjoy hiking so much but the kids think its pretty lame.  Then, Mae said her prayers and said she was thankful that we could enjoy nature today.  I guess we did make somewhat of an impact!

Have you ever had a perfect day?  I have.

I sure love my little family.

No comments: