Monday, June 18, 2012

Kennecott Copper Mine

I've never been to this place and finally made plans to do so last week.  My friend Emily and I packed up the kids and met up with my sister Stephanie there.



We walked over to the pit immediately after arriving.  Its pretty amazing how big it really is!



We also went to Copperton Park to have a picnic.  The kids had a blast here.

Jonah, Will, Olivia, Gavin, Landon, Mae & Jackson



The crazy thing was watching a regular-sized truck going up the mine -- it looked like a tiny ant compared to the monstrous trucks.  

Mae and Olivia

 Handsome little Jonah



They have a visitors center FULL of information about the mine.  I enjoyed the part about the smelter the most because we pass by this part of the mine every time we go to Salt Lake City and I've been looking at it pretty much my whole life.  It was interesting to find out what is really going on over there!
Copperton Park


A beautiful sunset to end a great day!  

1 comment:

Stacie said...

I guess since my husband works at the Smelter I should probably get it in gear and go see that hole! And after your post, it does sound pretty cool. Glad you guys had fun!