Does anyone have any advice of what to do about a little 16 month old that will NOT leave the table alone? I am so afraid he's going to fall off. I cannot stand him to even get up on a chair, but every time a chair gets left out he is on the table within seconds. We used to have a gate so our kiddos couldn't even go in the kitchen, but our adorable 16 month old broke it a couple of months ago. Since then I've thought, other people live without a gate, surely we can make it work. Surely other people do not have our 16 month old baby boy and his determination. Anyway, what do you do? I just pull the chairs out and stack them away from the table. Matt says this is wrong and he just needs to learn, by getting in trouble. The only problem is, he does not have any idea we're serious when we say "no," he just smiles and laughs! He really is a cute little boy and I'd hate for him to get injured by falling off the table. Any ideas???
Thursday, May 8, 2008
BEWARE: Toddler on the table
UPDATE: Thanks Leeann for the bungee cord idea. He was sooooo upset when he tried to scoot out the chairs. He could not believe we out-smarted him. So now I don't have to worry about him falling off the table, yay! Now, if I could just get him to stay out of the dishwasher...
Does anyone have any advice of what to do about a little 16 month old that will NOT leave the table alone? I am so afraid he's going to fall off. I cannot stand him to even get up on a chair, but every time a chair gets left out he is on the table within seconds. We used to have a gate so our kiddos couldn't even go in the kitchen, but our adorable 16 month old broke it a couple of months ago. Since then I've thought, other people live without a gate, surely we can make it work. Surely other people do not have our 16 month old baby boy and his determination. Anyway, what do you do? I just pull the chairs out and stack them away from the table. Matt says this is wrong and he just needs to learn, by getting in trouble. The only problem is, he does not have any idea we're serious when we say "no," he just smiles and laughs! He really is a cute little boy and I'd hate for him to get injured by falling off the table. Any ideas???
Does anyone have any advice of what to do about a little 16 month old that will NOT leave the table alone? I am so afraid he's going to fall off. I cannot stand him to even get up on a chair, but every time a chair gets left out he is on the table within seconds. We used to have a gate so our kiddos couldn't even go in the kitchen, but our adorable 16 month old broke it a couple of months ago. Since then I've thought, other people live without a gate, surely we can make it work. Surely other people do not have our 16 month old baby boy and his determination. Anyway, what do you do? I just pull the chairs out and stack them away from the table. Matt says this is wrong and he just needs to learn, by getting in trouble. The only problem is, he does not have any idea we're serious when we say "no," he just smiles and laughs! He really is a cute little boy and I'd hate for him to get injured by falling off the table. Any ideas???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
So you mean to tell me it gets worse before it gets better?! I miss the newborn days already. I love all of your pics, Will and Mae are growing up too quick.
Our kids were the same way. We had to bungee cord the chair legs together, under the table, so that you can't pull the chairs out at all. It's a pain when YOU want to sit down, but it sure keeps them from moving them!
Sawyer used to shimmy up the nubby drawer pulls of our dresser and jump off it onto our bed at this age. I am at a loss. Maybe (and this part is the toughest) just consistently saying "No" to the table but "You can play here" thingy?? I duno. It worked for Sawyer after a couple of weeks and me with less hair!!
In theory, I'm with Matt in that we all have to learn by making mistakes (and getting in trouble). In practice, I'm with you. As a mom it is so much easier to just remove temptation and skirt around animosity you don't want in your home.
Climbing on top of the table is a cute phase (yes, a phase); you might miss it later.
Congrats! What a great idea. I am so glad you solved the problem. I loved that gate.
I love the tuesday tell all! I think I will start that up too! Thanks for the great idea!
Dave says Does this count as home teaching?
Post a Comment