
Nine years ago at this time, I was starting my 4th and final year of cross country. I wasn't the best on the team and wasn't the person who would bring our team through to any awards, but I loved it. I loved my teammates. I loved feeling like accomplished something. I loved my coaches. I loved the races on Saturdays. It was a fun time in life. But once the last season was over, I ran on and off but never continuously. I didn't know how to run without all the things I loved about running, so I stopped trying.
On Saturday I ran my first 5k in 9 years. On July 6th I decided I needed to run again. I got up early thinking about how hard this was going to be, ran a little and came home. I was surprised at how not hard it was and how much I loved it all over again.
Soon 6:30 in the morning became my favorite part of the day. Back in the day, there was no such thing as an iPod or anything small enough to take running unless you wanted to listen to the AM radio. Wow, this has been awesome listen to music while running! It really keeps me going. Also, back in the day there weren't any cool websites to track miles and not many choices for cool running clothes. Things have improved a lot.
I signed up for this 5k as soon as I heard about it, knowing it was in Sugarhouse Park and it gave me a good amount of time to get ready for it. It was so much fun. There were 1350 runners/walkers... all women!
On Saturday I ran my first 5k in 9 years. On July 6th I decided I needed to run again. I got up early thinking about how hard this was going to be, ran a little and came home. I was surprised at how not hard it was and how much I loved it all over again.
Soon 6:30 in the morning became my favorite part of the day. Back in the day, there was no such thing as an iPod or anything small enough to take running unless you wanted to listen to the AM radio. Wow, this has been awesome listen to music while running! It really keeps me going. Also, back in the day there weren't any cool websites to track miles and not many choices for cool running clothes. Things have improved a lot.
I signed up for this 5k as soon as I heard about it, knowing it was in Sugarhouse Park and it gave me a good amount of time to get ready for it. It was so much fun. There were 1350 runners/walkers... all women!
The race began and a flood of memories came back.
Is it a coincidence that last time I ran a 5k it was at Sugarhouse park for state cross county 9 years ago?
No, because I chose the race! But it was fun to run there again. 9 years ago I got 18th place and we took the 2nd place trophy. This time things were much different and I was just on my own. I kept hearing Coach Cowan cheering for me, but just in my head. But one thing was the same -- I went home feeling like I had accomplished more than I thought I could. Matt, Mae and Will were proud of me. Over a month ago I could barely run a half a mile, but I kept trying and actually ran a 5k! I can't wait for the next race. And I can't wait for 6:30 am to come once again tomorrow.
Tomorrow is another big day -- I'm starting classes at USU to finish my Elementary Ed degree. I'm turning over a new leaf in life and I'm very excited about where things are going.
Tomorrow is another big day -- I'm starting classes at USU to finish my Elementary Ed degree. I'm turning over a new leaf in life and I'm very excited about where things are going.
9 comments:
Wow!! Congrats on the race and school! But I must admit that you might be a little crazy looking forward to 6:30 am :)
Poppy and I are so very proud of you Amy and your desire to do great things for yourself and your family! We have big smiles on our face and totally understand the "Can't wait for the 6:30AM work-out"... Our work-out starts at 4:30AM, Poppy loves his iPod, I love Boston Legal!
We love you Amy and know that each step you take in your education could bring you closer to CALIFORNIA, YES!
Amy this is so awesome! I started running again this summer as well and feel much the same about it! We should start a "Mommies who run" club ;-). And congrats on going back to school!!
I'm so proud of you, too! So often moms get so busy that they stop doing the things that make them happy. But it benefits the whole family when we do things for ourselves. Good luck with school, you'll do great!
Go Amy! Hey I need your email address again-somehow I deleted it. :(
Amy, I am SOOOOOOOO proud of you!! You rock in more ways than I can count! Get your skinny butt down here so you and I can run together, and as far as USU goes...
GO AGGIES!!!!! :) You know I love 'em!!
You are inspiring.
I also had a throwback to high school cross country when I ran a 7k last December. I agree it was just like I remember it (too bad I remember it as lung-wrenching pain that I promised my body I would never punish it with again).
Good job. all my sisters are big runners. I ran a 5k 2 years ago but turns out I was a couple weeks pregnant when I ran so that put a kabosh on my 'training' any further. Unfortunatly I didn't get back into running (darn back) I walk instead. CONGRATS and CONGRATS on starting school again!!
Good work! Those good ol' cross country days...sigh...I think that was my WORST running experience at sugarhouse. I should go back sometime and master the course!!!! Good work for getting back into it and just reading your post made me think of running circuits, up the canyon and the indian sprint hill with Bart, the smell of early morning, nerves before races, it really was such a great time of life and I learned so much! Thanks for helping me take a little walk down memory lane...
Post a Comment