Friday, March 5, 2010

Piggy Bank


I got this piggy bank when I was 14 and opening my first bank account with First Security (back in the day...).

I've always thrown my old change in it and would go through it upon necessity. One time, when we had been married a few years, we counted $78 in change and put it towards a cruise! Since then its just sat around collecting dust and change.

Recently Mae adopted this pig and called it her baby. I don't know why I let her, it is made of glass, but she would carry it around and love it. A few days ago she was pretending to change it's diaper which I thought was so funny. She stood up and the piggy slipped out of the blanket onto the tile floor. Her cries were hysterical. She even said, "My baby is DEAD! She is DEAD ON THE FLOOR!" The pennies were everywhere and covered in glass pieces. I picked up what I could and put it back together, throwing the tiny pieces away. It all came together except for a hole on the side. I realized I didn't really want to glue it back together with a hole on the side.

And there the pig sat on the counter... I got a cut on my finger while piecing it together and several tiny pieces of glass stuck in my fingers but still could not throw the thing away. Its useless. The coins would fall out the hole. But I couldn't throw it away. I had owned it since I was 14! I could not throw it away.

Yesterday Matt cleaned the kitchen and threw it away. It didn't bother me at all. I actually felt relieved that I didn't have to do it.

Does anyone else have a problem with throwing perfectly useless things away??

6 comments:

Shay said...

lol that is sad yet funny at the same time that Matt probably didn't think twice about throwing away this sentimental swine..

perhaps mae will need a piggy bank for her next birthday...

Sarah Larsen said...

That really is a funny story. I love thinking about Mae changing it's diaper. I'm sentimental too. I have a whole box of stupid things I can't throw away. I still own a broken furby. It's only because my grandpa gave them to us the Christmas they were popular, and then he passed away.

Crystal said...

I a the same way. I have a sweater I wore in kindergarten that has holes in it that I can not get rid of!

Monica said...

Haha, I love the piggy bank story! Your blog is super cute! Keep up the good work!

The Stephens Family said...

i am the exact same way!!! love ya amers!!!

The Schooley's said...

Guilty!! Drives Chad mad!!