Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Big Hunk

Today I had a flash of memory come back from when I was 5 years old.

My mom told me I had to have a check up and get a dreaded shot before going to kindergarten. I was stressed for days about it.

We went through the routine at the doctor's office and then the nurse came in and asked me, what's your favorite color Amy? Before I knew it she had tricked me and was putting the band-aid on my arm after the shot. It was so fast that I didn't even know I had just been given that dreaded shot!

My mom promised me an entire candy bar just to myself for going to the doctor... I knew this was a huge deal, what 5 year old ever gets to pick out their OWN candy bar, especially in a family of 8 kids??? We went to the store and I chose the biggest one I could find - Big Hunk. I remember sitting in the front seat of our tan VW Bus with my head out the window (seatbelt, much?), eating the Big Hunk and feeling nauseated. I couldn't eat anymore of that candy I was so deserving of, I had to give it to my sister. I have not eaten a Big Hunk since. Every time I think of having one it makes me feel nauseated.

Today Mae had her big, 5 year old, getting-ready-for-kindergarten doctors appointment. The thought of her actually remembering this day makes me feel horrible. We vaccinate and she had 4 today... wow. I didn't want her to stress and have anxiety so I didn't tell her about these little shots until we got there, but somehow she knew anyway and was hysterically crying the entire visit. She also mentioned that she HATES HER DOCTOR, several times (while he was in the room too). He left the room and came back with 4 suckers for Mae. She stopped crying, she was happy and I think she ate all 4 at the same time. Since I had promised Mae a treat I let her choose a candy at the store, just like I did 23 years ago with my mom. She chose Skittles.

I still don't know if it was the candy or the shot that made me feel sick but either way I'm glad Mae's memory doesn't include her eating a Big Hunk.

It blows my mind that both of my children are now old enough to make memories that they might keep for a lifetime. I have many more at this age, but this one is the most vivid.

I guess now we are really on the road to Mae going to school next year.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I just love your posts Amy! And, I feel like I copy you just a step behind with my Logan! I feel exactly the same way you do! I can't believe they are old enough to start having memories. I'll be posting his booster shots next week. :) You are such a cute mom!

Misty Moncur said...

What a cute (and sad!) memory! Kammi's going next year, too. Yikes!