Thursday, June 3, 2010

10k

(Me, on the far right starting the race)

On Saturday I ran in my first 10k in 10 years. I have raced one before but it was back in the day, in high school. The night before I put a set list on my iPod so I would have all of the good songs for the race. I planned on one hour and 20 minutes of music to get me through. I was so surprised to pass the finish line at 1:06:51. Not only was I 14 minutes faster than I thought I would be, but I still felt fantastic afterwards (how can you not?).

I have realized that a few things about running never change and I'm still, in some ways, the old cross country runner I was in high school.

1. I'm still so annoyed at people who run/walk/run/walk/run/walk/sprint/pass me/walk/sit down/sprint/pass me, etc. JUST RUN! Of course I know I'm not the only person who takes it as seriously as I do, but it really messed up my mental toughness to get passed 14 times by a girl who just rested and drank water and walked and then sprinted again!!

2. I can't stand people passing me and I'll do anything to keep it from happening. This is why I start at the back. In X-country it was death to have anyone pass you, especially in Region or State, that meant one more point... for some reason my mind still thinks I'm running in State, 10 years later.

3. I always feel so good after a run and especially a race. It doesn't matter the time anymore, it just matters that I run continuously and finish.

Now I'm trying to decide what to do next... another 10k or a half marathon?

6 comments:

Shay said...

Half Marathon it lady!! You can do it!!!!

Julie said...

Ha ha, remember when we used to sing along to No Doubt when we ran for x-country? Way to go. I haven't run a race in years but I also recommend the half marathon. The one in Provo Canyon in August is awesome (and mostly downhill :).

Stacie said...

That's so awesome! I have been running 5k's on my own this week and I thought I would DIE.

For the next step, I say join me in the triathlon. :)

Rachel said...

That's amazing...I wish I were a better outdoors runner. I'd probably be 'that girl' that was resting/sprinting/drinking water/running/walking/sitting...ha ha! :) Way to go!

Lacey Sue said...

1. You rock, I am so totally proud of you girl! Way to go, that is a killer time.
2. The things that bother you, and also the things that bother me in a race, it's enough to make me want to trip someone, on accident of course ;)!
3. I AM JEALOUS!!I MISS RUNNING!!!!!!

Bonnie said...

You are awesome Amy!! It would be fun to see you, and a whole lot of other people sometime! :)
You always impress me.