Wednesday, July 21, 2010

This Is The Place


Last week we went to visit This Is The Place Heritage Park.
The first thing Mae said after we got out of the car was, "That's Joseph Smith!  But I don't know who that other man is..."

me, my mom and Steph









Mae in front of the schoolhouse








We were very impressed with everything there was to see and do.  We took the train around the park, then panned for gold and took the gold to the bank to get candy.  We walked around the cute little stores and homes and did the pony ride.

This is the miniature train ride.  I loved looking out over the Salt Lake valley.  Such a beautiful place to live.  I imagined what it was like to be a pioneer and see this place for the first time.
Mae went to school






 Will raided a pioneer pantry


and made cute little bags.
We also made bracelets from Indian beads.  All of the people who work here are in character.  It was neat to see little families in their homes and the little boys playing in the ditch together.

Mary Fielding Smith's home is in the park.  There is a stone near it about how she, as a widow, brought all of her children with her across the plains to the Salt Lake valley.  She then built a home for her family to live in.  What an amazing woman she was.  I don't know how she could do it.  Her strength is unfathomable.  I thought about how I was complaining that day of how hot it was.  Pioneers just dealt with it.  They didn't have a/c, cars, or any of the modern things we have.  They had hands, feet and oxen to get them across half of our country... that was it.  They relied heavily on their Heavenly Father to help them.  Even with their amazing faith I don't know how they did it.  I am so appreciative for what my ancestors did for us today.  I have 26 in my family tree who walked to Utah. I wonder if they knew what a huge thing they were doing, at the time, for their future generations.  I am so thankful for their faith, determination and perseverance.

If you haven't been to This Is The Place Heritage Park... go!  It is only $2 on Wednesdays.  The kiddos had a great time and I felt that I learned a lot about the pioneers and what Salt Lake looked like when it was first here.  We spent most of the day and could have stayed longer.

Happy 24th of July everyone... even if you're not here in Utah!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I love that 'Place.' :)
Isn't it amazing how familiar the kids now are with Joseph Smith??? I love it so much.

Monica said...

FUN! I'm glad you guys liked it!

Monica said...

FUN! I'm glad you guys liked it!

Rachel said...

That looks like so much fun. They have really improved the place since I was there last. I remember going with my mom when I was little and pretending to be interested. I wonder what happened to the grove of trees we planted as young women up there? Remember that? It was for the Bicentennial, so that would've been 1997.