That's what I was thinking after I boarded a school bus and was taken up a canyon... with no ride back. The goal was to run back down, along with 2300 other runners in what is called a half marathon (13.1 miles). I stood there in the dark, cold canyon with a bunch of strangers at 6am, waiting for the 7:00 race and wondering what on earth I had gotten myself into.
![]() |
| Blacksmith Fork Canyon in Logan |
Once the gun went off it was 3 minutes before I crossed the starting line. There were so many people. Everyone was excited and nervous. The first 7 miles were no big deal... the canyon was beautiful. The sun was on my back. The wind was blowing on my back, giving me a nudge and it was all a slight down-hill course. Then, the next few miles were spent trying to decide whether or not I needed a pit stop to empty the Gatorade I'd been drinking all morning. The only problem was there were 5-10 people in line for every porta-potty... so I kept going.
| Will and Mae waiting for me on the street near the finish line |
Going across the finish line with a time of 2:38:58 (or 2:35:58 if you use my 'chip' time) was a great feeling. I was done. I met my goal. There is an amazing sense of accomplishment to do something I didn't know I could do. It was hard, but I did it. How many people can say that about themselves?
I'm looking forward to my next half, probably in the spring once I'm not aching with sore muscles anymore. Then, maybe a marathon this time next year. The people at the Top of Utah really know how to put together a nice race and I've heard their marathon is fantastic.

2 comments:
WAY TO GO! I'm so glad you were able to do it and the hamstring didn't get the best of you. You're a lot braver than I am.
Wow Ame! You are awesome. I'm seriously proud of you. I do not even dream of running 13 miles at one time....ever. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!
Post a Comment