Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Everything I needed to know, I learned in Kindergarten


On Monday we went to the school and met Mae's teacher.  By Monday night Mae could not wait for the next day.  I went to check on the kiddos after putting them to bed and this was Mae and Will.  I think Mae was so excited she couldn't get herself to sleep.


Tuesday morning was the big day.  We got up, had breakfast and baths... both kids did their "chores" and it was 8:30... we still had many hours until time for school!  Going to afternoon kindergarten will be nice but I'm going to have to fill our mornings with something to avoid waiting around all morning.



Then, it was finally time for a fashion show before leaving for school.  Can you believe how gigantic that backpack is?  Wow!  She picked it out herself.  Not sure what the idea was with standing on the fireman's hat... but it worked.


Will and I took Mae into her class.  She knew right where to go and found her desk after hanging up her backpack.  Will hugged her and she said, "Good bye brother!"  So sweet.
   Then I said goodbye and I got this look like, its okay mom.... leave now.

I told Mae I would pick her up after school.  I didn't want her feeling like she HAD to ride the bus if she didn't want to... and when I was young I would have LOVED to have gotten a ride to school (rather than walking), so we got there to pick her up and this is what we found:
First in line for the bus!  She said, "Mom, I really want to ride the bus home!"  Wow, I was so surprised.  I guess so many kids in her class and kids she knows from church & our neighborhood ride the bus so its pretty much "normal" to go on the bus.  
Little Miss Independent 5 year old!

It was kind of a long afternoon for Will.  They were so happy to see each other again!
We walked home and then had Oreos and milk.
Mae told us all about her day.  How she got a tour of the school and someone told her not to wear flip-flops (??) and she will go to the principal's office if she loses a tooth at school.  I'm realizing that I'll never know everything that happens at school, but if we sit down everyday, at least I'll get to hear about most of it.
My goal for this year is to make the habit of sitting down and having a snack everyday after school so that Mae can tell me anything she wants to about her day.

Today, Mae told me she is going to ride the bus to school.  

I haven't been in any tears yet.  Right now I'm just excited and happy for Mae and her new adventure  in life.   I was hoping to take baby steps and possibly do the bus thing mid-year but it looks like Mae has her own plan for growing up asap!  

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I think it's fantastic that you sit down with her right when everything's still 'fresh' and she can share her day with you. That will be such a blessing when she gets older, too! :) She looks so grown up and darling.

Shay said...

I love that Mae is rockin some skinny jeans as her 1st day of school outfit. Oh how I loved to go school shopping...Aaron actually let me go "fall" shopping since I felt like I was missing out lol. She seriously looks older to me in these pictures & ofcourse little will is as handsome as ever.

Rachel said...

So cute! I can't believe she's big enough to be going to Kindergarten! I love how excited she was.

Monica said...

She's all grown up! How fun! I'm loving the skinny jeans too!

Stacie said...

Mae, you are such a cutie! I used to love to ride the bus.