Monday, May 16, 2011

Kids-n-bikes

 A few weeks ago, around April 16th, Will hopped on his friend's smaller bike and just like that he was ready to ride without training wheels.  It took some practice but it was easy because he wasn't scared.  

After a couple hours of that he was ready for HIS bike.  His "MOTOCYCO" bike.

 In a matter of a few hours he was riding all over the neighborhood.  We rode over to the church and he did great.  Since then, when it hasn't been raining {or snowing} he's been on his bike!  Oh, the freedom from getting rid of those training wheels!  He was so ready.  I would give him a push holding onto his seat.  His instructions were the same each time "Mom, hold on until I say let go and NO CHEATING" {meaning: if I let go sooner then I'm cheating}, then without a second passing by he'd say, "LET GO!!!!"  


 Last week I challenged him to ride his bike all the way to Mae's school.  Mae was still hating her bike so I pulled her little princess booty in the bike trailer!!  Will rode the entire way there and back!  He would get tired and say he needed a break.  We would stop and he'd sit on the curb for 30 seconds or less, then he'd say he was ready to keep going.  I can't imagine how tired he must have been... he's a tough little guy.  I praised him constantly because I was so impressed with him!


I think Mae felt a little left out in the bike trailer {which is really for tiny babies... not 6-year olds!}.   That night, a miracle happened.  We got home from soccer practice and Mae told me she was ready to take her training wheels off.


We tried for an hour or so.  Mae got really frustrated and would run into a tree, the rocks, the curb and always exclaim, "I QUIT!" or "I Can't do THIS!!!!"


The next morning she was so excited to go out and ride her bike.  We practiced all morning.  She really had the balance part down but would get nervous and wreck into whatever was nearby.  Once again she kept saying she couldn't do it.  Finally, I told her she had to stop saying that.  I made her repeat "I CAN DO THIS" over and over and over.  I could hear her pedal down the street saying it to herself.  It actually worked.  Once she believed she could do it, she could do it!  It was a great opportunity to tell her that she can do ANYTHING she thinks she can!!



And that was it.  Of course it takes some getting used to but its already her favorite thing to do!  


















This really made me reflect on my two kiddos and their two personalities.  Will KNEW he could ride his bike right away, it was just a matter of practicing and getting it down.  He wasn't scared.  He had all the confidence in the world and learned quickly.  I honestly think Mae could have done it last year but was so scared and cautious that she kept herself from trying.  She could balance and keep going if she didn't think about it.  As soon as she realized she was on her own, riding her bike on two wheels... she'd give up.  It was too scary.  Finally after some coaching, she realized she was capable of riding her bike.  


It made me think of this quote by Henry Ford: 


 "Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right."



No comments: