Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Caribbean Cruise, Day 5-6


 On Tuesday we had a day at sea.  At first I thought this was a really lame way for cruise ships to make extra money and I'm sure they make A LOT with so many people sitting around all day, however, I realized how nice it can be to be restricted for a day.  We napped, ate, watched a movie, walked around and had a great day.  The ocean was beautiful and we enjoyed just sitting on the deck.  We tried out the Jacuzzi's and the slide!  That night we watched The Little Mermaid on the big screen and then had our fancy dinner night.







We had the same table and waiters every night.  It was so fun.  

The next morning we got up and met for breakfast at the buffet.




Yeah we just take picture of their pictures... cheap, I know!


And we headed off the ship to explore Barbados.  Most people schedule excursions to do each day.  We decided to take the laid-back (cheap) route and go to a beach everyday.  Our only expense was really taxi's.  They can get pricey.  Most of the time they were well worth the cost though.  At every dock there are A LOT of taxi's waiting.  

Today we had Rudy.  He was super nice and when we asked where we should go he recommended Folkstone Bay for snorkeling and swimming.  That is a nice benefit of taxi's -- they know where the best places are.  We can read all we want but a recommendation from a local is priceless.

On a side-note-- why are fanny-packs called fanny-packs?  Apparently this is terrible word in other countries!  Oops!!

Our first stop was the one and only Rihanna's house!  This is the home she grew up in... apparently.  We were skeptical but I found one website that confirms it and a local also confirmed it.  



Barbados was beautiful!  It was much less "touristy" than St. Thomas and a lot less refined.  There are resorts but not a ton of them.  Folkstone Bay was beautiful and had a great, shallow corral reef where we snorkeled.



 Lifeguard shack -- when I took the picture the men at the top stuck their tongues out and laughed... so funny.


 Within minutes we were offered weed and declined but several of the same group of guys kept offering it throughout our day!  I guess its just normal here... I don't know.  We were eating some snacks at a picnic table and a cute old lady walked up.  Her name was Monica.  She said she sold jewelry.  I bought a bracelet for Mae and Brenda brought a pretty necklace.  I would much rather spend money buying something from someone who is friendly and sweet than a store with tons of trinkets.  She was super cute and talked with use for awhile.  She wished us well and told us we must come back to see more of the island.  One day Monica... we will!


 Later on us girls walked down a path to a wonderful beach with super calm water.  We just like to swim and talk... we were doing this when a local came up and started asking questions.  I finally asked him about himself and he said his name was Kevon and his job was being a hustler.  I was just so surprised because he was so friendly and nice!  We said goodbye and slowly walked away... he said our beautiful faces made his day.

 A very, very old church... I don't remember anything else other than that.

166 square miles of...?  What do you think?

We headed back to our boat after a fabulous day.  We watched the boat leave the harbor and enjoyed the sunset.


It was another great day in paradise!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Weed and pimps... sounds like an interesting afternoon, LOL!!! I do hope you don't keep me waiting too long for details of the rest of your trip ;)

Megan said...

Oh wait was that the end?!?!

Amy said...

Nope-- hold on! the rest is coming!!