Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Our Life

As of today, we've gone 3 days without turning on the TV in the Stephens' house.  Normally this would kind of be a big deal, but no one has even noticed.  We're just too busy to even think of turning it on.  I think I'm missing it the most -- I've got a list of shows I'd like to watch on Saturday, when I have time... but in my heart I know I won't have any time!  I began my student teaching this month.  Its been a whirlwind of a month.  I feel like after 4 weeks we are finally getting a good routine and system down.  Matt has been leaving for work later so that he can make breakfast and get the kids ready.  We've been simplifying everything so that the important things don't fall in the cracks-- like homework, FHE, family prayers, kids' reading time and the list goes on and on.  Most nights I'm so tired from getting up early to get everything done, that I'm asleep as soon as the kids are in bed at 8:00pm.  Yep, this is the new me-- the night owl is long gone!
I am LOVING my student teaching.  I've been doing a lot of observing and monitoring of students but now I'm starting to do more teaching.  That's when I feel the best.  I love interacting with the students-- I love teaching.  In a way I just want the next 3 months to hurry by so I can be finished, but I know this is an important part of my education and I need to soak in all that I can.  My graduation date is April 20 and I'll be finished student teaching on the 25th.
January has been a dismal month.  Christmas ends and the celebration is over.  On top of the let down from that, its been a North Dakota-style winter.  It got below zero for several days.  We haven't hardly seen the sun in weeks.  The snow just won't stop coming!  Tomorrow is the last day of January and I'm thrilled!

Mae is doing well and is SO excited to be baptized on May 4th (May the fourth be with you... what the heck?!).  Will is doing great as well.  I soak in as much time with them as I can.  I am loving teaching but I could never love anything more that being their mom.

I didn't intend this to be a rant of complaints -- just an update.  All in all, we are so blessed, so happy.  I had an interview with my university supervisor and asked her when the stressful part of student teaching would come?  She laughed and said soon.  I think I'm blessed to manage stress well so that it doesn't affect me too much.  Yes, this is a blessing.

Okay... 1 month down... 3 to go.  I can do this.  I can do hard things.



No comments: